9R Reports!!!

Stuff that isn't involving getting wet here (nights out, fundraising etc)
Diarmaid_Moloney
Big Man On The Board Now

PatrickBrennan wrote:The exo 6 was a demo too John

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk
Nope we bought it.
JackPhelan
I've got alot to say for myself

Diarmaid_Moloney wrote:Am I find the toro just wants to go down rivers fast but the 9r will go down rivers fast but also let you catch Eddie's easier than the toro Will as most of the boats length is out of the water. Also used the 9r on CC
The toro zips in and out of eddies you just need to get on edge as it is quite wide, it can snap around really quickly once you know how to. Haven't paddled the 9r yet so can't comment.

As for the club buying one, the toro was bought as a larger boat as was the exo since it was only €450. Tbh if people want a racing boat they should be buying it themselves, buying a nice fast racing boat that the same 5 people are going to use on every single trip is not what the club is there for.
Phone: 086 322 9783
Diarmaid_Moloney
Big Man On The Board Now

JackPhelan wrote: The toro zips in and out of eddies you just need to get on edge as it is quite wide, it can snap around really quickly once you know how to. Haven't paddled the 9r yet so can't comment.
I find it a bit slower to turn than most boats rather than its difficult.
Anyway I think if the club did get one it would end up like the Remix.
Am but the 9r is one of the boats I am considering but so is the Toro and Tuna
StephenODea
Big Man On The Board Now

#Clubtuna!
:)
PatrickBrennan
This Is The Rank Title For 400 Posts Congratulations

Didn't realise we bought an exo 6 :)

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk
AndrewRegan
Na na na na na na Nash Nash

JackPhelan wrote:Tbh if people want a racing boat they should be buying it themselves, buying a nice fast racing boat that the same 5 people are going to use on every single trip is not what the club is there for.
I'm sorry but this way of thinking is utter folly for want of a better term. The people who may want to use this are in college and more them likely can't afford to drop a grand on a boat. Their family over the course of a number of years has dropped significantly more money on that to be in UL in the first place. Thats also where the money comes from for these boats.

Now they have picked up a sport in college which they would like to be competitive as possible in national races or simply improving their own skills and you say they should have to fork it out themselves when there is money and scope to help a student or student(s) excel in a certain area?

Believe me I know your way of thinking of "what the club is there for" and in UL's case you've gone far beyond the ethos of the club's longevity and participation for all. Please stop thinking about efficiency for the balance sheets and getting annoyed when a boat gets broken because thats part and parcel of the sport you are involved in. Sure the remix only lasted you a year but that remix probably got ten times more use then another boat which might have been there 5 years. Make it water tight and retire it for flatwater/pool sessions, it lived a happy life facilitating many kayakers in this club to learn.

In short Gav, Jack and Brian I can see where ye are coming from and ye all seem like exceptionally good committee members. If ye were on the committee of a club where breaking a boat would mean the club would suffer horribly I would side with you. In your case you have a rare opportunity to help facilitate the progression of potential top paddlers while also keeping up the huge participation rates this club boasts year on year.

Also I hear Zens have the best plastic and will never break :lol:
GavinSheehan
I have notions

I ain't on the committee anymore!
I think it would be wasted if it was going to be given to a river leader week in, week out and not allowed to be used for what it was made for
I think you're getting confused by what I meant. I definitely side on the "buy more fun boats" approach. We definitely need to have stuff like Raptors and Mambas to keep us going but there is no harm in buying something like a 9r, Zen or a Tuna every once in a while. What I meant by my above quote was that if we do buy one, it'll be a lot better served by running the Glens, Ennistimon and being brought to every race week in week out. If it's going to be used on CC every week for it's life and nothing more( or if people aren't allowed to use it on challenging runs for fear of breaking our baby), then there is no point in buying it. Sure the Pyranha outfitting is questionable and will probably need to be tended to over its life in the club but I can't imagine it will just fall apart one day. I haven't heard of a Pyranha boat do that in 3 years.

It's fast, it's fun and if we do buy one, I hope it's usage is not limited in any way.
Sheep, like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north, where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.

087 751 4733
EoinK
I've got alot to say for myself

AndrewRegan wrote:
Also I hear Zens have the best plastic and will never break Image
Lad, whats going on, it must be the kayaking industry's 'world new team paddler announcement week'. There are shit loads of them on facebook!

Congrats anyway, that new Rockstar seems to suit you!

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
Phone: 0876637836. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/eoin.keyes.3

Loadsa kayakin videos, mostly of ULKC people: http://www.youtube.com/user/kayakincheese

Kayaking blog: http://eoinkeyes.blogspot.ie/
Diarmaid_Moloney
Big Man On The Board Now

Had the 9r in the Glens yesterday. It sooo good. It boofs really well, the nose keeps so dry. It's great the best boat I've paddled on a challenging run. I think it would be a great boat for the club as any thing that could help someone in the club do a little better in a racing league or national event can only be good publicity for the Club.
AndrewRegan

EoinK wrote:
AndrewRegan wrote:
Also I hear Zens have the best plastic and will never break Image
Lad, whats going on, it must be the kayaking industry's 'world new team paddler announcement week'. There are shit loads of them on facebook!

Congrats anyway, that new Rockstar seems to suit you!

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
Cheers man! Yeah I love the new boat :)
GavinSheehan wrote:I ain't on the committee anymore!
Ah but you are still slightly more committee orientated then kayaking orientated, I can always tell when somebody has crossed over to the good side :lol:
GavinSheehan
I have notions

AndrewRegan wrote:
GavinSheehan wrote:I ain't on the committee anymore!
Ah but you are still slightly more committee orientated then kayaking orientated, I can always tell when somebody has crossed over to the good side :lol:
The good side being the committee side?
Sheep, like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north, where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.

087 751 4733
AndrewRegan

GavinSheehan wrote:The good side being the committee side?

Probably the side where we focus on going kayaking as much as possible! I havent been on a river with you in so long :( :( :(
GavinSheehan
I have notions

AndrewRegan wrote:
GavinSheehan wrote:The good side being the committee side?

Probably the side where we focus on going kayaking as much as possible! I havent been on a river with you in so long :( :( :(
I know I know. It's taken a back seat this year but I've been coming back bit by bit!

087 751 4733