Why Do You Paddle?

Stuff that isn't involving getting wet here (nights out, fundraising etc)
GavinSheehan
I have notions

After having a chat with Mark, I thought this might be a little interesting topic for us to discuss. I'm sure everyone has very different reasons as to why they paddle but here's mine:

I started about 4 years ago having had knee surgery following a long string of rugby injuries. When I joined ULKC officially in 1st year ( I was going to the pool on the shly in 6th year) I was there for the kayaking and the kayaking only. I had my own playboat and got into the pool and went to the far corner a few nights a week for 4 months and only paddled. Didn't talk to a single person.

Bring on the 2013 Wales trip and that changed completely....I learned to enjoy paddling with people and right now in 2015, I see that as one of my favourite aspects of the sport. A day out with your friends (some of whom you trust more than others when the shit hits the fan!) just acting the maggot and laughing your way down a river is probably my favourite thing to do in the world! I've made so many friends through this sport and especially in ULKC and I couldn't imagine what way my college life would've gone if I didn't join the club.

But the other thing that I love about kayaking is that you can never master it. You can never say "I know everything". There's always something to learn. I remember when I was learning to roll in the pool in 6th year I saw Keyes with his mohawk throwing huge loops and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. 2 years later I was finally able to do it and I was chuffed. There's always something to work towards in this sport. I love getting on a river that scares the shit out of you as a whole but when you break it down rapid by rapid and break down those rapids stroke by stroke, it's all stuff that is easily achievable. You just have to string it together. Pushing yourself on rivers you might have never thought yourself good enough to paddle or pulling off moves that a year ago you thought impossible just make kayaking so appealing to me!

That's my reasons anyway and 10 minutes of 4th year procrastination well spent in my eyes. I want to know why others paddle!
Sheep, like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north, where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.

087 751 4733
SamOC
Big Man On The Board Now

The Drinking
The Fresh Prince of Kildare.
SamOC
Big Man On The Board Now

Joking of course.

In my opinion I love kayaking because of how relaxed the sport is. Top paddlers for example the likes of Keyes and Mark Scanlon have no problem chilling out and having the craic with you. Its something I didn't find with other sports. I used to play GAA and hurling until I was 14 where you have to be the best of the best to be considered one of 'the lads'. It doesn't really matter what your ability level is in kayaking as long as you're about the craic you'll fit in no bother!

Gav couldn't have put it any better about the constant progression of skill level. You will never have mastered everything.

Kayaking also brings you places that not many other sports can. The natural scenery in the Alps was second to none,

One thing I'm really starting to love in kayaking is the jitters you get when approaching a big drop or tough rapid just around the corner. As soon as you approach the lip or lead in it all disappears and you're in autopilot mode. (Like right before your first time going down Big Eas) Then when you finally reach the bottom you get what Dan de Mannio would call your first Whitewater Smile and the most satisfactory feeling in the world. Really hard to put into words!
The Fresh Prince of Kildare.
mmmm_scandalous
Too Many posts you should SLLLOWW-DOWWNN!

Okay.. So, being honest.
The final few years of secondary school absolutely wrecked my tits!
Wanted nothing more than to get away from the entire lot of it.

During transition year I dreamed of driving around the world. My cousin talked about driving to Mongolia and I researched the f#ck outta it! I quickly realised that wasnt going to work. Bit pricey. I soon forgot about it and enjoyed doing absolutely fup all, it was TY like.
Fifth year came around and teachers got all uppety again, looking for work to be done. This time I dreamed of doing it all by moped, lil cheaper maybe? South America by moped! That sounded pretty cool.
"But what would I do all day I wondered?", worried it might just end up like one of those family holidays where nothing truly exciting actually happens.
Anyways, sometime around leaving cert, when sh#t really started to hit the fan, I saw my first Bombflow video. Here it is, right here.https://vimeo.com/26069059
Long story short, I was fair hooked!
Something to do while travelling! It involved scenery, sport, people and fun times! #sorted

So that's why I paddle. It's the same reason I don't enjoy flatwater freestyle too much and didn't have too much of a fondness for polo until recently.
For me I just love being outside on the river.
Eyjafjallajökull Eyjafjallajökull consists of a volcano completely covered by an ice cap. The ice cap covers an area of about 100 square kilometres (39 sq mi), feeding many outlet glaciers. The main outlet glaciers are to the north; Gígjökull,
doyler1596
Insert Rank Comment >Here<

SamOC wrote:The Drinking
The right job

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
Craig Doyle
JoshMorris2011
Na na na na na na Nash Nash

doyler1596 wrote:
The right job

The proper job

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Have I ever mentioned that I love ZET Raptors??? Just sayin'
Luke F
Getting busy on the forums now!

JoshMorris2011 wrote:
doyler1596 wrote:
The right job

The proper job

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
The only job
Ha!!! I'M ALIVE
JoshMorris2011
Na na na na na na Nash Nash

If you were to ask me this question at the start of first year I honestly wouldn't have had an answer. I don't even really know why I joined the club! I have no prior experience nor had I heard about it at all. I suppose it just looked like something new! Much like Mark I hated secondary school! Coming to UL I wanted to do something more! Kayaking seemed like the right place to start!

Never in my life have I been more right! I learned quick enough that this kayaking craic would change everything for me! Not only as a sport to be involved in but as a place to make friends for life and a means to travelling all over and meeting new people along the way! In my first year alone I was pretty much overwhelmed by the places that I went because of this sport and I wouldn't change that for the world!

I can honestly say that this is the only sport that I've ever actually taken to and wanted to stick with. It's such an easy sport to work your way into, it can seem daunting at first for sure but everyone is so open and welcoming and helpful that you can actual learn and end up wanting to learn on a constant basis even just on a casual level! I suppose that's what makes it great! You never really feel outpaced by you peers, you're more so motivated to work hard to reach a level somewhat on par with them, even if it's only in our dreams.

So ask me the question today; why do I paddle? The answer is quite simple really, I paddle because of the people I paddle with. Without them it just wouldn't be the same!
Have I ever mentioned that I love ZET Raptors??? Just sayin'
Cathal
I have notions

For me, I started paddling in secondary school, in junior cert year. I had given up rugby - it wasn't for me at that time as I was just too small to be an effective rugby player. I disliked GAA, and I took the alternative option that was in the school - the canoe club. Learned the basics in that year, won an all-Ireland in 5th year doing long distance in a K2. Had the Glens done by the end of 5th year and kept paddling as a stress release for my Leaving.
Came to UL, and ended up straight away as assisting with the instruction in the pool and rescue on rivers. Ended up doing some rather crazy shit in my time with the club at that stage - with some fantastic memories of trips away and absolutely epic rivers. Kinda dropped away from paddling when recovering from my fun and games a decade ago, then ended up back in UL as a student and said, why not get back with the club, and I'm giving a hand with stuff and really enjoying myself at the moment.

Why did I paddle? It's changed a bit over the years.

In my schools days, I was competitive and fairly fit, and did fairly well with the racing. It was great to get out of school and go paddling every day, maybe 20 miles of flat water a week, and a race or river or surf trip each weekend. I was eager to learn how to do the stuff that the top names were doing, and how to improve my own paddling a lot. But a lot was because I had some wonderful people to share that time with. My two best friends in the world, are those that I paddled with in school. There's something about the bond that is shared when you literally put your life in someone else's hands, and when you've saved each other's lives a few times there's a definite depth to that level of friendship and trust that you simply won't find anywhere other than paddling.

In UL, it became a lot more of a social thing with me, and I properly came out of my shell through the club. I've met a lot of really cool people over the years, people that I am privileged to have known, had some truly amazing nights and days shared with various club members of the time, some escapades never to be retold - you just wouldn't believe them if I did anyway! Some really embarrassing moments as well, but you look back and laugh lots at those. Getting to go on the first club summer trips away, and the first 3-week break trips, that was an interesting set of experiences for sure. Being on the IV team that won for the first time was fantastic, to see that effort by everyone pay off so well.

After graduation, I kept up with the club, as the people were so great, and the experiences were all good. I started to paddle more with my secondary school friends, now that we all had some free time on our hands, well before they all married off and started having kids!

These days, recovered from chemo and back on my feet, paddling is a little bit more mellow for me. I don't feel the need to prove to myself that I can do something, as either I know I've done it before, or I'm aware of why I shouldn't. I'm a lot more aware of my limits and limitations. Even so, I don't want to be rusty so I stay paddling and stay trying those new tricks that the old dogs should learn.. Getting my confidence back when in a boat took a while but it's nice to be there again. What I like most at this stage in my paddling career is seeing those that are new to the sport and the club, gain their paddling skills and gain their paddling friendships, all through the club. It makes me happy to be in a position to help out with the club, and to help people's paddling get closer to their potential, to expand their horizons, to give any useful advice that I can, but above all, the paddlers in ULKC are still a group of people that I am privileged to know.

TL; DR: It's for the people, and the scenery, and the experiences, and the fun, and the friendships.
--
My Madness is all that keeps me Sane..
Contact on +353876438725 - [email protected] (not on Facebook much/ever anymore)
Sinead_Doran
I'm really out of my shell

I am not a good kayaker, I don't have any plans to be a world renowned kayaker nor somebody who features in amazing videos.

I joined it because I had a small influence known as Caoilinn... And I am clearly not the adrenaline junky like most of yee but there's one discipline of kayaking I love- flat water. No not the "race ya to corbally kind" but the let's take a few strokes and chat in our canoe with the deckchairs up!

So probably one could say I'm a lazy ass... But I'd disagree! I'm just a different breed known and coined by the Doran family in days gone by as the social kayaker. I love the craic before river trips, singing in the sprinter, parties and the pool.

What I love about this club is that that's kinda okay (whilst it may annoy some people that I don't share their yearn for adrenaline). There's no hate for slacking because everyone develops at their own rate!!!

It started in lahinch, where I was in the room (code c0259x) with a bunch of strangers. Everybody from people with wooly hats to bruised and battered bodies... And suddenly we were best friends. It started there and still going as strong as the pungent odour of the room the next morning!

That is all!
Caoilinn the Second
Caoimhe_F
I've got alot to say for myself

room (code c0259x)
That was my first year room too!!

#NeverForget #C0259xForLyf
EoinK
I've got alot to say for myself

Awh you guys...

And jaysus you don't ask easy questions do you?!

...I had written a load of stuff and then realised that it's simple, I kayak because it's the most fun thing to do that I have ever come across.

I enjoy paddling easy rivers, hard rivers, teaching people, learning, training, competing, winning, losing, partying, travelling, exploring, pushing myself, watching others push themselves, etc, etc, etc. There are multiple reasons within each of those but ultimately it's all about having fun.

I don't know of any other sport that lets you do such a variety of different things, with such a variety of atmospheres from super chilled out, to full-on competition, to scaring the shit out of yourself.

The social side is obviously huge as well, I run out of things to talk about very quickly when trying to be friends with non-kayakers!

For me it is mostly about the kayaking. If no-one else is up for doing anything, I'll head out surf or freestyle boating by myself and have just as much fun as I would on a day with loads of other paddlers around. If no one else is up for a bigger trip, I'll head to Kerry/Austria/Uganda/wherever by myself and paddle with whoever happens to be around when I get there. Consistently, all over the world, paddlers are a community who stick together and if you travel somewhere with a boat you will always find people to kayak with. All of you people who identify yourselves as 'social' kayakers, don't let that tag confine you to paddling the same rivers with the same people week after week, as generations upon generations of ULKC paddlers do. You're missing out on the best thing about kayaking, which is that it's the best reason in the world to go to new places, meet new people and have some amazing experiences. Do some travelling, meet some new people and you will find that there is literally a whole world waiting to be explored. The ULKC Alps trip is just the tip of the ice-berg, use the experience of travelling and kayaking as a starting point towards some of your own adventures!

I guess this picture from the weekend sums up why I kayak. Exploring an area that's only accessible by kayak with some awesome people, and pushing my own limits on some amazing whitewater. Anyone who doesn't kayak really doesn't know what they're missing out on!
Phone: 0876637836. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/eoin.keyes.3

Loadsa kayakin videos, mostly of ULKC people: http://www.youtube.com/user/kayakincheese

Kayaking blog: http://eoinkeyes.blogspot.ie/
GavinSheehan
I have notions

I've created a thread full of tear jerkers!
Sheep, like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north, where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.

087 751 4733
Diarmaid_Moloney
Big Man On The Board Now

Right what got me kayaking in the first place was the really good summer 2 years ago I was living in Galway so after work I went for a wonder a few times and notice people playing a ball sport in boats and after seeing a this a few times I tried to find out what the sport was and found out it was canoe polo. So I decided to give kayaking a go the following summer (last year) and after doing a level 2 beginner course with the Galway kayak club I final got to give Polo a go a year after first coming across the sport.

So I moved to Shannon that year also (last year) and just started looking up kayaking clubs in Ireland that play polo because it was a very long drive to Galway for kayak on flat water. So found out the UL club played Polo sent an E-mail to the club to join in with them for polo (only planned on playing polo and nothing else at the time).
So I seen a post on here September last year about a first whitewater trip (CC) to see what whitewater was like, ended up enjoying it and became more involved in the club after.

So why do I paddle:
I like setting goals, the places you vist that you would never otherwise, the people you meet and get to know, the rush from big rapids and drops, the feeling from nailing a line on a technical rapid and the trust you have in people on the water (the Flesk on Saturday was my first Grade 4 river and when you can't see what the rapid is like a head of you and run it just base on the information explained to you at the top of it it shows the trust you can have for guys to help you if the shit hits the fan).
GavinSheehan
I have notions

Bump!

087 751 4733