website world map project proposal

Stuff that isn't involving getting wet here (nights out, fundraising etc)
Ethan
Insert Rank Comment >Here<

copied from facebook:
Dear members of ULKC, past and present,

I have been working on a project for the past few weeks and its finally ready to demo to you all!
It's a "where in the world" web app to keep help keep in touch with the amazing people that spend some time on board the "titanic of friendship" that I feel this club is to those who join. It's a shame to lose touch with such people when they step off the boat to continue their lives in different corners of the globe, especially after the having becoming attached form all the time training together and experiences shared on club activities. My proposal is to integrate a feature into the club website, ulkayak.com to help keep track of where people are around the world particularly our study abroad friends and emigrating graduates. It could help with planning visits, staying in touch and would also provide a visualization of the impact and spread the club has around the world as time passes and we meet more and more great people.

try the app at: http://ulkayakmap-ethanjfobrien.rhcloud.com

if you want this to go ahead then please like this post! suggestions and questions go in the comments below. the above is just a demo and is just to provide and idea of what it would be like, if I get the go ahead I will need the committee to give me access to the club server to install it and develop it fully - it would take approx. 2 months from the day I get access to the servers. The code is currently available at my github account ethanjfobrien.
below you can see what it might look like on the club page:
ulkc-map-demo2.png
Looking forward to hearing from ye!!
Ethan
Insert Rank Comment >Here<

as I write this there are 40 likes on the post. More copied from fb:
Thanks everyone who's shown interest in this project!

Gavin has told me that he is now in the process of getting the committee to decide whether or not to give me the server admin access in order to go ahead with this. A majority yes vote from them is what is needed for me to get the admin login details I need to progress from here. It would take way too long for me to do this if I have to do things through Cathal or or have to ask him to do everything.

I will also be able to do things that I was told would be done over 3 months ago and are still pending such as getting the club site deployed via git and copied to a github repo for everyone to develop projects relating to the site more easily.

It shouldn't take too more than a couple of days to reach a decision considering the obvious interest that has been shown in having this project realised. The sooner I can start, the better because its fresh in my mind now and I may not have time later on. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted here on what happens over the next few days :)