Andrew gets serious...

Stuff that isn't involving getting wet here (nights out, fundraising etc)
MikeShaw
Big Man On The Board Now

Cathal should be able to install this overnight

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... for_posts/
"Isn't that Sexual Harrasment?"

"Not if you're Good Looking!"
seamusgalla
Hi, I'm new round here

I don't usually read posts that are more than a paragraph long. So I didn't.
Ya cant beat a battered sausage.
Cathal
I have notions

MikeShaw wrote:Cathal should be able to install this overnight

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... for_posts/
I was looking at another version of this type of thing, but this mod is more polished and closer to what people were looking for.

Mod's been looked at, tested, installed, verified. We now have a like button - the thumbs-up on top right of each post.
--
My Madness is all that keeps me Sane..
Contact on +353876438725 - [email protected] (not on Facebook much/ever anymore)
EoinK
I've got alot to say for myself

AArrgh! CAn we not take a few days to enjoy the fact that we're using a forum again before we start tearing strips off each other over what bit of computer code is used to run the damn thing?!
Phone: 0876637836. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/eoin.keyes.3

Loadsa kayakin videos, mostly of ULKC people: http://www.youtube.com/user/kayakincheese

Kayaking blog: http://eoinkeyes.blogspot.ie/
AndrewRegan
Na na na na na na Nash Nash

EoinK wrote:AArrgh! CAn we not take a few days to enjoy the fact that we're using a forum again before we start tearing strips off each other over what bit of computer code is used to run the damn thing?!

Sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh your killing everybody elses fun!

This World of Warcraft battle is hilarious!
Cathal
I have notions

AndrewRegan wrote: This World of Warcraft battle is hilarious!
There's only one DM here though ;) :twisted: :P
--
Contact on +353876438725 - [email protected] (not on Facebook much/ever anymore)
Conor_B

That thumbs up thing is great I must say. However...

when people get thumbs up it shows the rating as 100%..that's all well and good but how does that rating go down? I tried taking away a thumbs up but that doesn't work so surely there must be an option in that installation to have a thumbs down? Can we get that too?
A lot of truth is said in jest.....
MikeShaw
Big Man On The Board Now

I think its only 100% if its the most likes out of all. which that post is

I am not sure, Cathal will know more there was probably a readme with it

based on the maths here

I think the rating works on a posts thanks/post with the highest thanks * percent

same for threads

So if one thread has 10 posts and another thread has 1 post

The 10 post thread will be 100 rated and the one post thread will get a rating of 10%

Does that make sense?
"Isn't that Sexual Harrasment?"

"Not if you're Good Looking!"
Cathal
I have notions

From the MOD's wordpress page:

Rating is built on a number of thanks for the posts. For 100% rating is the highest number of thanks for post (leader). Rating the remaining posts is defined as a percentage of the ranking leader.
For example, the maximum number of thanks for post #1 = 10. This is 100%. Then post #2 with 5 thanks will have a rating of 50% (10/5). Post #3 with 3 thanks will have a rating of 33,3% (10/3), etc.
If the post #1 will receive another thanks (10 +1 = 11), its rating will remain 100% (as leader). Rating post #2 is 45.5% (11/5), rating post #3 is 27.3% (11/3).
Position ranking is determined by the number of thanks. Topics rating is made up of the sum of the topic's post's thanks. Forum rating is made up of the sum of the forum's post's thanks.
--
Conor_B

Very good.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
A lot of truth is said in jest.....
AndrewRegan

I can see why people want a like button, fair enough....

Is there a way of keeping that but getting rid of the 'has thanked' and 'been thanked' thing under everybodys name?

That is a bit unnecessary or am I alone in thinking that?....
GavinSheehan
I have notions

Yeah I'd agree with you there. It'd be nice to just have the number of Thanks and who thanked and get rid of all of the excess if that's possible.
Sheep, like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north, where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.

087 751 4733
Cathal
I have notions

I'll see what I can do..
--
AndrewRegan

I'd like to applaud the committee for taking the steps they have. I think the long term benefits will be made apparent over the course of the next year and beyond.

Clearly a strong presence on social media needs to be maintained and I am sure the lads already have this figured out between like pages and event pages.

I am not sure if this is to be done in the next few days but a couple of things I've noted about the website/forum in its current form:

* While the front of the website is fantastic and shows a great slideshow of what the club is all about, I think large writing showing weekly times at which they can go paddling (pool, outback &CC) should take equal prominence. This coupled with what to bring gear wise and assuring them that there is no extra charges beyond the initial C&S 5 euro. Thats why presumably new people are visiting the website, I think that info should be the first thing they see.

* The other thing is the accessibility of the forum. It was briefly discussed earlier in this thread and I am keen to hear what people think. I think Derv had the best compromise. Is it possible to set up the boards this way?
DervMcAuley wrote:Another outside perspective: UCD boards have it set up so that there's a section with all kayaking and trip related topics public, as well as committee announcements, but if you want to see the banter and abuse sections you have to sign in - makes it less embarrassing for future employment, etc. blah, blah, blah.
See you all in a few days!
Eoin F
This is all I do now

Good suggestions Andrew and I would agree that the move to full time forums is the right one! People may not see it now but in a few weeks time it will have all smoothed itself out!

I think Dervs suggestion about the accessibility is a good one too but i think we may have issues in terms of public posts being spammed to the high heavens without a login being required to reply? Cathal can confirm or deny that anyway!

Heres to a once again healthy and banterful ULKC forum!
I don't know what I'm doing here anymore