Andrew gets serious...

Stuff that isn't involving getting wet here (nights out, fundraising etc)
AndrewRegan
Na na na na na na Nash Nash

Right so I don't really get serious about things online because usually it is pointless but I feel very strongly about the way in which the club is operating on social media and the only people losing out are the future members of the club.

This website is phenomenal and obviously a ton of work has gone into it fair play to all involved (Cathal and the people beforehand). This forum used to be one of the best and most active in the country I remember first following it back in 2009, it was hilarious. All past banter, information and stories are safely stored in the archives of the forum.

Very recently the committee has started to revive the forum which is great but its a half measure at best. Trust me when I say that the only and I mean ONLY way that the forum will thrive again is if that group is shut down on facebook. At this stage I have heard all the arguments against this action and I am 100% convinced that deleting it is the right course of action,

First let me say that I was in this very same position a few years ago with the NUIG kayak club, we had an identical group page where everybody posted about funny cat videos, slagging, trips, safety issues and extra curricular events in the same place. Our forum became very dormant like this one has been since at least September when I arrived here.

Arguments I have heard for keeping it range from that

*It makes the club more accessible.
* People are easier to get a hold of with quicker responses.
* You can still search for previous posts on the FB page
* There are 400+ people on the group page who will miss out on happenings with the club etc etc...
* Better retention of members.

Fair enough, but here is where I call bullshit on those points and show you the negative effects the group has.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*We have a 'like' page with over 500 people signed up. This page's sole function is to advertise the club so that events and occasions show up on whoever has liked the page's newsfeed. This page is so quiet in compared to the group page. This makes no sense unless you assume that all 478 group members actually get active notifications. Here is the harsh reality, they don't.

Why? Because the group page is ridiculously overbearing where about 10 new threads start everyday, most of it will be jibberish talk to beginners looking to start paddling. Nobody with a slight interest in paddling is going to read all those threads and I can assure you that the vast majority of these 478 members have the notifications turned off. The end result is that they don't get the initial important information about how to start up kayaking from the like page and never look at the group page. It makes no sense even on a basic level.

The group is having the opposite effect to what you want, when beginners just want to get into the sport, on the group, they see ridiculous videos, jokes that you would only get if you are a long term member of the club and serious discussions like the referendum discussion today. The group is putting people off joining ULKC without a doubt leaving you guys with a worse retention of members.

In addition to the 'like' page Sean also set up event pages which is great and not overbearing, this trips can be well advertised through the like page

Other pro forum points
* Loss of information for future committees, incoming committee members who want to know something about how a previous trip was organised will have to troll through hundreds of unorganised posts to maybe find the information they are looking for on the facebook page. If this was on the forum the search function would drag up the relevant thread in a matter of seconds. Continuity is achieved making the club more efficient.
* Forum posts are more official so you get more definite answers making it easier to organise paddling trips and events especially for the committee. Its an absolute nightmare trying to organise going paddling on the group page. Take for example the 70 comment responses to Simon asking if anybody wanted to go paddling on kilmurry beach a few days ago.
* People take the time to think before they post
* Lack of craic. The banter is abysmal on the group page.

Yeah lads, I'm a Galway paddler giving Galway examples, but I am sorry NUIG webpage and forum have it down to a tee.

Its the most active forum I've seen bar UKRGB.

Check out the first thing beginners see when they click into it: http://nuigkc.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

They have threads for:
Paddling today where anybody who wants to go for a short notice paddle posts up and gets some people to go with.
Videos from the internet There is an unreal library of hilarious videos and wicked paddling videos in one place
Swimmers Files Where people hilariously document swims, this thread goes back to 2004 and is an incredible resource to read over.
Trips are pinned to the top so everybody gets the important information straight away
Committee minutes
Session Timetable
Safety Rules
Yearly club awards Where everybody votes on most improved paddlers, funniest moment, best club moment, best party, funniest injury etc etc Its deadly banter

I can't stress how much of a success story it is and within a week or two of the group being deleted it was thriving again. If its possible to make our forum accessible without logging in I would be in favour of that (maybe its not possible due to legal reasons, Cathal maybe you can answer that one).

We can also feed the website with a ton of information and make it something to be proud of. I would love to come to a committee meeting and discuss this more with ye if ye are still unsure on the best course of action. I have so many more benefits in my head but this post is long enough at this stage...

The forum won't work to its potential until the group disappears.

I realise I'll look like an idiot if ye planned to do this anyway, at least I'll be a happy idiot!

Andrew signing off :)

#deletethegroup
Eoin F
This is all I do now

I think you have raised some seriously solid points Andrew and personally i would love to see the forum revived, for exactly those reasons you have stated.

The Facebook page gets very jammed very quickly and gets too hard to follow and i get very disinterested very quickly, especially now with Alps stuff and very important organisation things going on.

The committee at the last meeting agreed to make a serious effort to push the boards back into action. It was decided that before we remove activity from the Facebook page we ensure that all bugs have been ironed out with those wanting to be involved making sure they can log in and access the boards with no issues.

I think you have a fair point too about just deleting that group page and heading back to the forum. I would be very pro having you at the next meeting for a short discussion about this.
I don't know what I'm doing here anymore
canned
If I post one more thing the message board will self distruct

You had me at:
SeriousAndrew wrote:Trust me when I say that the only and I mean ONLY way that the forum will thrive again is if that group is shut down on facebook
We also have a FB page as a PRO page - which can be used as intended - with the FB groups it's easy to miss stuff in the newsfeed.

#deletethegroup

#bringmorebanter

#oldwaysarestillthebestways

#voteanotheryes

#doititneedstobedone

#fuckingbastardfakeaccountsarealwaystryingtosignupanywayandalltheadminsaresicktotheirrespectivegenitalia
one day....
EoinK
I've got alot to say for myself

Solid points. The same discussion has been brought up every few months since I joined the club but the resolve hasn't been there to make it happen so far.

I'd love to see it happen, the group would survive just fine without facebook but some people seem to be afraid to take that step. I would retain the like page as a way to point people towards the boards
Phone: 0876637836. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/eoin.keyes.3

Loadsa kayakin videos, mostly of ULKC people: http://www.youtube.com/user/kayakincheese

Kayaking blog: http://eoinkeyes.blogspot.ie/
LukeKelly
Big Man On The Board Now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgQzZbNxZZ0

suck it up and move to the boards
MikeShaw
Big Man On The Board Now

Interesting points.

Lets me firstly start that I am pro this in some ways...

In other ways it is a very niave view of how social media works.

Why do I say this?

Nobody sees anything posted on the like page*well barely anything

WHY?

Simply put FB have 2 news feeds, one for your pages and one for shit they want you to see. Why is this? Because Facebook is a listed company and Facebook needs to make money, if a page is not paying crazy money to FB to promote post people do not see the posts. Simple as. They want you, if you use pages, to pay money.

Well how do we get around it?

You pay for our Page, or you delete everything from FB and go back to 1999

1999 was awesome

Back in your box Tony Canning

You're talking shit, I can see the posts from ULKCs Like page

When a friend of yours likes a page of comments on a pages post FB nudges you to see it as well so they can bump the "Organic reach" numbers shown to a pages admin in a sly attempt to get them to get more people to like their page (More advertising clicks for them, more reason for you to pay to promote posts)

Well what can we do?

We can by all means remove the page and move to a website/forum mechanism however we need social media, this is not 1999 it is important

We can pay for a proper like page and limit what we promote (we need to see how much this will cost)

We can also update the website, like seriously, update it, this can then tie into twitter and FB (if done properly) can be used to promote our like page, twitter account and also(if you do it right) used to sell merchandise (ULKC shit for everything)

That sounds really hard

Its not, Its hard if you get the wrong people doing it. You have alumni that are professionals and have shit tons of experience in doing exactly this kind of stuff, willing to do it. Open up a limited section of the board to a select few to throw around some ideas and this can be done in a matter of weeks.

My 2 cents
"Isn't that Sexual Harrasment?"

"Not if you're Good Looking!"
AndrewRegan
Na na na na na na Nash Nash

Yeah I see your points Mike although I've limited understanding. Whatever we can do to make the like page have a greater reach, yeah go for it!

To be clear though I do believe social media is important, but the 'in your face' bombardment nature of the group does more damage then good.
Ethan
Insert Rank Comment >Here<

I don't like where facebook have gone with the personal promotion thing etc. but if we move from the facebook group I'd like if the club forum and website became open source(at the moment we use open source, this is not the same thing) so we could have our own flavour and constantly develop it using the skills of the many talented individuals in the club, past, present and future. Id personally like a "like" button on this forum just so you can show you've read and agreed with something with just one click. Like Mike said, we could do some pretty amazing shiz in a short amount of time with the club websites to meet the social media and organizational needs of all members of the club if we just make a few small changes to the way things are done right now.
MikeShaw
Big Man On The Board Now

Ethan,

While I agree on some points you make I disagree on others, Coding from scratch is a no no.

No point in reinventing the wheel. We can completely rehaul the website to be modern, responsive and social media friendly in 12 hours or less by using a proper engine like squarespace. This does not require any coding skills and is something I will push until the cows come home. This will cost us something. Starting at about $10 a month. However in the past people have sunk money into some hack job using a shitty engine like Wordpress and the results have been poor for probably the same price as it would cost to host the website via squarespace for 2 years!!!!

We can use the squarespace engine to blog, post updates, videos, info and we can even use it for gear signouts!!!(say whaaaaaat!) all without coding. If we want to tweak things via code we can, but you wont need to. This makes things much easier to pass down from generation to generation without the need for code monkeys.

Leave the pro looking websites to the pros. Lets focus on what we do best.

In terms of the forum we can extend it to have a link functionality for sure, its fairly straight forward, boards.ie has a "thanks" functionality, its probably a setting buried away in the php

Put a few of us in a room with some tasty beverages (wine for me) and a few laptops and you WILL get better results than sinking E2k into some hack "web developer" using a Wordpress engine.

GavinSheehan
I have notions

I spend a lot of time on Facebook throughout the day and usually I see and follow most posts that go on the page but lately even I haven't been able to keep up. With 10-12 posts going up a day it's becoming ridiculous so I think the forum really is the way to go.

I love having a good creep of the NUIG page even though I don't know many of the guys there. The Swimmers File is excellent and I'd love if we had a version of it on here too.
I know it'll definitely take a bit of getting used to for a lot of people but once they use it a bit, they'll definitely see the benefits.

I'd love to have you at the committee meeting next Tuesday to talk about it further but I'm definitely in favour of moving over here full time.

We're really hoping to promote the Like Page a lot this year too and its been growing steadily over the last few weeks. Hopefully if we increase the frequency of posts, it'll be more engaging and will reach more people too.

Serious Andrew = Productive Andrew
Sheep, like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north, where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.

087 751 4733
Cathal
I have notions

I will not condone the moving of the club's website out of Skynet, full stop. What we have is so much better than what you can pay for, and just because something is a new fad does not mean that it is good (squarespace really falls into the fad category).

Support your other clubs and socs when you can. Given that the Skynet space is free, and we can have pretty much unlimited storage space and bandwidth, plus a direct line to the admins, plus a legally stable platform, you don't get that for free or even moderately expensive outside of Skynet. You certainly don't get the freedom that Skynet hosting gives you.

Mike, if you have a suggestion that I can implement on a LAMP stack on Skynet, please feel free, I'm open to all suggestions that fall into that category.
--
My Madness is all that keeps me Sane..
Contact on +353876438725 - [email protected] (not on Facebook much/ever anymore)
MikeShaw
Big Man On The Board Now

Squarespace is not a fad to call it that is a failure to understand what it is. Vovlo, Sony, Cisco, GQ and HBO all use its engine. To name a few.

Skynet will not go away but the hosting of the webpage will move off of skynet. The forum will still live there, and anything else we need to implement where we are limited by external hosting. Skynet will map our URL to squarespace and squarespace will link back to skynet (when using the forum or any skynet hosted resources)
I will not condone the moving of the club's website out of Skynet, full stop
You dont have a choice really. Last I knew we have no flashly proper UI/UX/Web developers in the club. What someone can do in a few hours using a proper engine will surpass what a team of 3 REALLY pickling GOOD developers can do in 3 months. Thats a hard fact and any decision thats made should not be made blind. You should look for POCs (Proof of concepts)

The Webpage is just that, pages. Big whoop. It needs to look good, it needs to support all the latest stuff (responsive, HTML5 etc) and it needs to be fast. We can do that pain free by using something already built.

I have several ideas of using the LAMP stack to implement a RESTful API that will allow us to use Twitter Bootstrap to implement a paper free gear signout system. But everything I suggest going paper free I seem to be ignored. I could draw up a presentation and a Architecture around this but if its not going to be looked at I am not that interested in wasting my time.

I think if we are to build something it needs 2 basic principles
a)It needs to look good (modern, responsive, fully intergrated)
b)Anyone should be able to maintain it without being a code monkey (future proofing)

MikeShaw
Big Man On The Board Now

Cathal can you make a hidden thread and invite Me, TC, Ethan, Yourself, Maybe the committee folks and whoever you think can help and we can throw some ideas around there

EoinK

To be honest, I don't think the website is all that relevant. How many club members are ever going to look at it? I know I never do, I just go direct to the forum.

I think it's there for external people, who either want to find out what the club is and how do they get involved, or check out what we've been up to, i.e latest trip reports and stuff.

All it needs to do is look respectable, be simple for the PRO to post stuff on and be a place where people can easily find contact details for the club. We're not a company that's trying to bring in customers through a website, we don't need bells, whistles or anything too flashy/complicated. What I think is much more important is content. Nothing looks worse than a website that's out of date, and the last post on the site is a trip from a trip in October. I think keeping it up to date is infinitly more important than having the newest/best/brightest/fanciest code and computer shit going on in the background. While what we've got is doing the job all you're going is putting a lot of time and effort into reinventing the wheel.

And why make the discussion private? Is there any reason to exclude people from it?

Loadsa kayakin videos, mostly of ULKC people: http://www.youtube.com/user/kayakincheese

EoinK

...getting back on topic, #deletethegroup!