Wales 2017

Everything trip related goes here, everything related to on-the-water stuff.

Moderator: Rian O Connell

TomOBrien
Preposterous amount of posts "Preposter-Post"

By now, I'm sure a lot of you will have heard about the Wales trip. If not, don't fret, this message will tell you everything you need to know!

When: The 2017 Wales trip will take place from January 14th-21st. That's a Saturday - Saturday week, so 7 days. We will be leaving early (very early) on the 14th, getting the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead and then driving to where we will be staying. Returning home on the 21st. Should be back in Limerick around mid day Sunday, January 22nd...the day before 2nd semester starts!

Where: The Wales trip takes place in Wales....more specifically, north Wales. We stay in a cheeky little hostel called "Jesse James Bunkhouse", christened as "The CrunkHouse" in years gone by. The advantage of this hostel is that it is no more than an hourish drive from any rivers we will be paddling...the disadvantage is that because it was built by a man on his own in the 1960's, it isn't insulated very well. i.e Its a tad cold.

Who: Due to many of the river leaders being busy with co-op/4th year, we will have to limit numbers. We will be bringing approximately 12-15 beginners on top of whatever river leaders are going but that is subject to change. The way sign up will be is as follows:

If interested fill out this MANDATORY SURVEY by Wednesday 9th of November.

The committee will then go through the applicants and select who we think will benefit most from the trip. Preference will also go to those who have been putting in a lot of time in the pool and on the river this semester. Everyone who is selected will be informed and at that point, a deposit will be taken from each person. The remaining balance will have to be paid in late December/early January more than likely.

How Much: The trip will cost approximately €150 but this may change slightly. Food, transport and accommodation are included in this figure. The only extra money you will need is for personal expenses (e.g hot chocolate or stronger...).

What You Need: WARM CLOTHES. I cannot reiterate it enough. Wales is cold in January. But you can very easily take steps to minimise it:

1. Try your best NOT to wear cotton on/near the river. We will supply wetsuits for those that dont have their own gear. If you are going to wear base layers, make sure they are fleece, thermal layers, rash vests or similar. Cotton holds water and once it's cold, you're cold. BUY PYJAMAS. Fleece pyjamas or onesies will be your best friend on this trip. You can pretty much wear them immediately after getting off the river or put them on under your wetsuit. Fluffy, warm socks are also a must for the week. And wellies, rain jacket, water proof pants, hats, gloves...just all the warm/wet gear you can think of.

2. To stay warm on the river, I'd suggest buying a pair of neoprene socks. They can be bought in I-Canoe or pretty cheaply on Ebay/Amazon. Try and get a pair that is at least a couple of millimetres thick so that they'll keep you warm. Neoprene skullcaps are also great things to keep your head warm. They work the same way as the neoprene socks.

What you need to do:

1. Do the survey:

2. Watch these videos:
Michael Howard 2012
Gavin Sheehan 2013
Jack Phelan 2013

3. Keep paddling! Get out on the water as much as you can between now and January 17th! You don't want to be going over feeling very rusty!

4. Ask questions! If you have any doubts or questions about the trip, ask below or ask one of us in person!

5. GET EXCITED! Only a few more weeks left in college so put the head down, get exams out of the way and then look forward to a great week away!

References

Sheehan, G. (2014) "Wales trip basic information" [online], UL Kayak Forum, available: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=17808&hilit=wales#p79325 [accessed 4 Nov 2016].
Last edited by TomOBrien on Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I think what you're trying to say is "Why aren't I wearing a jumper?"
GavinSheehan
I have notions

I feel like some of this looks familiar!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Sheep, like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north, where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.

087 751 4733
OisinHiggins
Insert Rank Comment >Here<

So we're time travelling back to 2015? Cool, thanks for the heads up Tom!
TomOBrien

GavinSheehan wrote:I feel like some of this looks familiar!
Just learning from the best
EoinK
I've got alot to say for myself

Boom! 'bout time this was a thing again, there's something special about going paddling abroad! It's always an epic week lads, get over there and make the most of it!

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
Phone: 0876637836. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/eoin.keyes.3

Loadsa kayakin videos, mostly of ULKC people: http://www.youtube.com/user/kayakincheese

Kayaking blog: http://eoinkeyes.blogspot.ie/
ConallS
Can you pass me that Biro

Great!

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk
JoshMorris2011
Na na na na na na Nash Nash

Absoloutly class trip! Definitely gooooo yaaaaaaaaa!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Have I ever mentioned that I love ZET Raptors??? Just sayin'
OisinHiggins
Insert Rank Comment >Here<

Tom could you confirm the dates please, you have a contradiction; see below.

[quote="TomOBrien"]....

When: The 2017 Wales trip will take place from January 14th-21st. That's a Saturday - Saturday week, so 7 days. We will be leaving early (very early) on the 14th, getting the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead and then driving to where we will be staying. Returning home on the 21st. Should be back in Limerick around mid day Sunday, January 22nd...the day before 2nd semester starts!

3. Keep paddling! Get out on the water as much as you can between now and January 17th! You don't want to be going over feeling very rusty!

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk
BrianOMahony
Big Man On The Board Now

We'll be back on the Sunday Oisín.
Keeping the Boo's at Bae

Phone: 087 609 0442
Email: [email protected]
katiereidy25
Yeah I got a few posts

Hey guys just a reminder ye only have until next Thursday 24th of November to pay your deposit for Wales!! If you've any problems just message me and we'll sort it out.

Also if you are paying by bank transfer make sure you post here with the reference number/ note you've left on the transfer, so I know you've paid!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Why cant it be as easy to keep track of the lads I've been with, as it is with the club money.
Eoin_Hayes
S.P.

Just paid by bank transfer my reference was WalesTripEoinHayes

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Eoin Hayes
[email protected]
CormacRowe
Yeah I got a few posts

Just paid deposit by bank transfer "CormacRoweWales17" :)
TomOBrien

Paid in full. Ref. TomOBWales17
Cathal
I have notions

(just noting as having paid cash at the pool Tuesday)
--
My Madness is all that keeps me Sane..
Contact on +353876438725 - [email protected] (not on Facebook much/ever anymore)
ConallS
Can you pass me that Biro

Deposit paid "WalesDepositConall"

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk