Outback Sessions

Everything trip related goes here, everything related to on-the-water stuff.

Moderator: Rian O Connell

JackPhelan
I've got alot to say for myself

I'll be going outback at 10.30 tomorrow (Monday) and 11.30 on Tuesday, will be going to Corbally and back at a quick enough pace (hopefully). Throw up if you want to come along. I won't be waiting around so make sure to be on time
Phone: 086 322 9783
TomOBrien
Preposterous amount of posts "Preposter-Post"

I'll be there Tuesday, if you'll take a lowly fresher
JoshMorris2011
Na na na na na na Nash Nash

Anyone want to go out early enough on Wednesday say after 10? Looking at you Conor Lowe!
Have I ever mentioned that I love ZET Raptors??? Just sayin'
JoshMorris2011

I'll join you tomorrow Jack! :lol:
Have I ever mentioned that I love ZET Raptors??? Just sayin'
bobbykaghazchi
I'm really out of my shell

I'm up for a Wednesday trip if there is one. I'm gonna head outback if there is none.
Shane_Desmond

Anyone heading out tomorrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JackPhelan
I've got alot to say for myself

Outback could be very high tomorrow with all the rain and very windy too.
Ethan might be organising a glens trip tomorrow if you are interested
Phone: 086 322 9783
Shane_Desmond

Yeah sounds good, where can I get on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamOC
Big Man On The Board Now

Going to be doing resistance training at 12pm outback. Corbally and back a few times.

Gonna bring my phone and speaker so will be blasting the choonage gach lá

All Are welcome
The Fresh Prince of Kildare.
Shane_Desmond

Heading outback tomorrow at 11 (its to be calm and sunny by then) if anyone wants to join
GavinSheehan
I have notions

Shane_Desmond wrote:Heading outback tomorrow at 11 (its to be calm and sunny by then) if anyone wants to join
I don't think you are...

The river level behind the boathouse has very very little to do with the rain that's falling in Limerick. The Mulkear and Glens flow into the Shannon just upstream of the college but the water level of the Shannon is controlled by the ESB further upstream. They currently have the gates fully open because of all the rain. So the water level we see outback is very dependent on how much rain has fallen up the country (Mayo, Galway, Cavan, Longford) in the past few days. Which by tomorrow will be huuuuuge. They have to keep the Shannon in full flood to try and drain the rest of the country. So Limerick is more than likely going to flood later tonight when the tide comes in. We usually paddle Castleconnell when there is 10 cumecs of water being released by the ESB. This weekend there will be upwards of 500 cumecs.

I think outback will be off limits for a while. Here's a photo I took this morning with another 24 hours of rain forecast. so it's probably going to rise a lot more. I just hope the pontoon doesnt float away!
20151205_111235_resized_2.jpg
Sheep, like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north, where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.

087 751 4733
Shane_Desmond

I guess I'm not so
Cathal
I have notions

The field by Maxol is also beginning to flood.

The pontoon will stay there at least until the riverbank path is underwater. It survived the 2009 floods when the health sciences cafe had a foot or two of water above the bottom of the windows.
The levels out the back are a little higher as the last Intervarsities in Limerick.

Levels like they are now would mean being able to paddle into the car parks on CC, and the S-bend being officially "interesting".

Actually, with water levels as they are now, I would suggest removing the ability to paddle solo on outback and treating outback as a standard river trip, with all necessary level ratios in place.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
--
My Madness is all that keeps me Sane..
Contact on +353876438725 - [email protected] (not on Facebook much/ever anymore)
PaulAustin

I was out this morning at the level in Gavs pictures. Could almost hit your head paddling under the black bridge. The flow wasn't major though. I agree with the lads though def extra measures need to be taken. No idea what it will be like at higher levels.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
PaulAustin

Short video on the Get West Facebook page from yesterday morning.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk