rescue at glens 3/1/15

Everything trip related goes here, everything related to on-the-water stuff.

Moderator: Rian O Connell

Andy
Big Man On The Board Now

anyone know who needed the guards, water rescue, mountain rescue and rescue 115 (the heli) out at the glens yesterday evening?

edit: hope they are ok!
Cathal
I have notions

No idea, most of our group were en route back from Kerry. Hadn't heard of an incident (yet)..

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
--
My Madness is all that keeps me Sane..
Contact on +353876438725 - [email protected] (not on Facebook much/ever anymore)
GavinSheehan
I have notions

Definitely wasn't one of ours anyway! Not sure who it was but I know some of the Kilkenny Club were there yesterday and possibly Lacken. Seems like a very odd one though. If he only had a dislocated shoulder, it couldn't have taken over 3 hours to get him out. Must have been more than that.
Sheep, like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north, where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.

087 751 4733
Cathal
I have notions

According to secondhand information relayed from Mountain Rescue, it was a bit of an overblown reaction. Dislocated shoulder on river right.

Apparently the call went to the Gardai that then called *everyone*. Even Kilalloe coastguard apparently!
--
Contact on +353876438725 - [email protected] (not on Facebook much/ever anymore)
GavinSheehan
I have notions

I still cant understand how it took them so long to get him out of there.
Sheep, like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north, where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.

087 751 4733
PaulAustin
Na na na na na na Nash Nash

Kayaker rescued from gower aswell the same day.
Cathal
I have notions

Andy Mullins was the kayaker at Gower, that was happily surfing away, when the coastguard arrived up and asked "are you okay ", answers "yep, fine" and goes away again. That was the extent of the supposed rescue!

Unless I'm conflating two seperate Gower scenarios.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
--
JackPhelan
I've got alot to say for myself

Cathal wrote:Andy Mullins was the kayaker at Gower, that was happily surfing away, when the coastguard arrived up and asked "are you okay ", answers "yep, fine" and goes away again. That was the extent of the supposed rescue!

Unless I'm conflating two seperate Gower scenarios.
That happened to him 2 weeks ago according to Morgan O'Sullivan, could have happened again though
Phone: 086 322 9783
Cathal
I have notions

Yep, fire brigade 2 weeks ago, and coastguard yesterday.
--
Andy
Big Man On The Board Now

Yeah that was me at gower. I think one of the locals gets concerned when you are surfing the wave for too long on your own. I'd been on the wave for 20 mins plus both times. Maybe in future if you are there on my own cut the surfs a bit shorter?

The kayaker on the glens was from mayo apparently. Glens virgin. With two paddlers that had run the river before. Ended up river left just after mikeys. Rather than pulling him across the river right, to the footpath they escalated it to this:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/ ... k.facebook

pickling ridiculous.
Conor_B
I've got alot to say for myself

For what could conceivable have taken 2 or 3 experienced paddlers 15 to 20 mins max. to do? :roll:
A lot of truth is said in jest.....