2016 Expedition Ideas!

Everything trip related goes here, everything related to on-the-water stuff.

Moderator: Rian O Connell

GavinSheehan
I have notions

The idea of a large scale expedition has been thrown around the club for years. As ye know, we do our annual Alps trip but nothing out of the ordinary has been done since the Montenegro trip in 2010 and the Uganda trip in 2007. I'd like for us to change that!

The intention is to run a trip in Summer 2016 after the Alps trip. Numbers will be limited to probably less than 10 people to make logistics easier. We have the opportunity to get funding from the university for a trip like this but the people that attend will also need to pay an amount to go.

The committee have been thinking of a few potential destinations but I came here to get suggestions from everyone! What we'd like to do is go somewhere that really pushes the capabilities of the club but not something that's completely out of our reach. Somewhere where we could go for a few self supported days kayaking followed by a few more days of regular river running. On top of all this, we'd like to maybe volunteer somewhere too and help the local community where we will be paddling. Some possibilities that have been thrown around are Kenya and India; 2 places that we know have unbelievable kayaking and definitely accessible!

If you'd like to have an input on this, all you need to do is put down your destination suggestion and a small description of why you think we should go there!
Sheep, like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north, where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.

087 751 4733
AndrewRegan
Na na na na na na Nash Nash

Kenya, Iceland,Peru, Nepal (December/January), Georgia, Albania, Mongolia etc etc

http://world.rainchasers.com/
Caoimhe_F
I've got alot to say for myself

AndrewRegan wrote:Kenya, Iceland,Peru, Nepal (December/January), Georgia, Albania, Mongolia etc etc
AndrewRegan

A little of my own opinion on how this can be feasible...

Lots of people on a unknown river trip is a nightmare, 5 is an ideal number i'd say 7-8 max to include as many people as possible.

Thinking up a selection process and choosing the paddlers for the trip early is key, I don't think it should be after this summer coming.

A good way to go about choosing location is to select your team, each team member picks a place they want to go on an expedition, researches it and does a presentation to the rest. Then as a group you decide where you want to go.
Eoin F
This is all I do now

I would agree with Andy there is the sense that by far the most important thing to do is to pick who goes... After that everything will fall into place with the dedicated team working towards building their own trip into a reality.... Forget where... Think about who
I don't know what I'm doing here anymore
Eoin F
This is all I do now

As for suggestions for a selection process... It's a tough one to keep unbiased and truly fair.... We could think about asking a few OFBs to judge for us if those interested were to submit their own proposals as to why they want to go, why they deserve to go etc....
AndrewRegan

I know BUKE does a selection day/weekend on the river for everybody interested then after each individual writes down the 7 people they think should go. People with the most votes go.

Not sure that's suitable in this scenario though as naturally people will pick their best friends maybe rather then the people most suitable.
Eoin F
This is all I do now

Yeah... It's hard to remove the friends aspect of it and expect people to pick those most suited....the other thing is would we have 7 people that are totally committed to going if selected? Probably but not certain either....

You could build a panel from experienced / senior members in the club that know they wouldn't be able to go and have them select based on applications received? The panel would only need to be 2 or 3 people that can be trusted to be impartial and only judge based on ability or whatever criteria is deemed important...
GavinSheehan
I have notions

Eoin F wrote:Yeah... It's hard to remove the friends aspect of it and expect people to pick those most suited....the other thing is would we have 7 people that are totally committed to going if selected? Probably but not certain either....

You could build a panel from experienced / senior members in the club that know they wouldn't be able to go and have them select based on applications received? The panel would only need to be 2 or 3 people that can be trusted to be impartial and only judge based on ability or whatever criteria is deemed important...
Yeah that'd be my concern. The trip will be taking place almost 2 years into the future and who knows what peoples circumstances will be like then compared to now, in terms of interest and financially.
Sheep, like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north, where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.

087 751 4733
Eoin F
This is all I do now

But there lies the crux.... For this to work as far as I can see anyway a committed crew has to be be put together now so they have time to orgainse... Fundraise.... Train... Everything that will be required for them to go on the expedition....
mmmm_scandalous
Too Many posts you should SLLLOWW-DOWWNN!

A plan to make sure each selected member has an invested interested in the trip.
This will make sure it's the most awesome trip ever.

First people and dates are set in stone.

Each member pays a set amount (eg €100) into the trip bank account each month.
Payments are made until there is enough money collected.

If somebody cant go for any reason they are not refunded.
The money is used by the remaining members for the trip.

If somebody misses a payment they get dropped. They do not get refunded.
It's important that they make payments consistantly and not come up with money at the very end. This prevents people being half in half out.

If the trip ends up being unfiesable, the plan changes. Nobody gets refunded.
This means a trip will go ahead, and it will be the best possible.
Possible arguement.. "I didnt pay for this trip"
Counter arguement.."You paid for paddling Holiday, we're going on the best possible with our available resources."

Had to write that twice because I deleted the first one. Very pissed. :D
Any tweeks to the plan welcome but keep um simple.
Eyjafjallajökull Eyjafjallajökull consists of a volcano completely covered by an ice cap. The ice cap covers an area of about 100 square kilometres (39 sq mi), feeding many outlet glaciers. The main outlet glaciers are to the north; Gígjökull,
EoinK
I've got alot to say for myself

I do quite like that idea. Affordable and definatly a good way of making sure that people are properly committed to the trip.

It all depends on what scale of trip people want to do.
Phone: 0876637836. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/eoin.keyes.3

Loadsa kayakin videos, mostly of ULKC people: http://www.youtube.com/user/kayakincheese

Kayaking blog: http://eoinkeyes.blogspot.ie/
Eoin F
This is all I do now

Mark ideally the trip would be fundraised for...at least the majority of it. A small cost would only be incurred by the travellers. There is definately scope to find some way to fundraise for the trip! All those ideas would be generated from the selected crew.

My suggestion for the next move on this would be this:

this post becomes a discussion on what the criteria are for selection. There should be 5 things that are necessary in the individual applying before they can be selected. Give this a week or 2 to hash it out.

Once that is done each interested individual puts together their application showing how they fulfill the selection criteria.

Any of the senior members who are not interested become the panel. Maximum of 3 people that take all applications and review over the Christmas period. By the time mid/end of jan rolls around we have a crew of 6 people who can get going on selecting a destination and organinsing their trip.

we could talk about where we wanna go for weeks, who we wanna go for weeks, what we wanna do for weeks but with no central core group that are 100% committed to going it will all fall to pieces. Speaking from experience here. We here can do the majority of the organisation then go look for a crew but for whatever reason people just loose interest, no cash, different goals etc...the thing falls apart.

My 2 cents at least. I would love to see movement on this as much as any man! And we could all talk for weeks about this. Fact is if there is no movement quickly we will miss the boat! (excuse the pun)
AndrewRegan

For 5 criteria your speaking of Farrell I'm guessing it would be something along these lines... Anybody add to/change/modify the criteria below?

Just a brief attempt to get people thinking.

1. Person's knowledge and experience of whitewater kayaking.
2. Person's skill level of whitewater kayaking.
3. Persons interpersonal skills.
4. Person's involvement with ULKC.
5. Other skills person brings to the table... For example: Climber/Media Person/Ability to organise logistics.
Eoin F
This is all I do now

I think those 5 pretty much encompass the ideal criteria... They are also well worded and leave room for the individual to elaborate and tell their own story around each point.