~~ULKC SWIMMER X-FILES~~

Everything trip related goes here, everything related to on-the-water stuff.

Moderator: Rian O Connell

StephenODea
Big Man On The Board Now

At this rate everyone will be drinking out of booties tomorrow..
Eoghanc
This Is The Rank Title For 400 Posts Congratulations

Name: Eoghan Calnan
Date: 23/2/17
Shifty excuse: Having gone down sidewinder and got a good put of speed going into constriction I somehow got flipped in constriction. I should have just waited a couple seconds and rolled but I wasn't sure what to expect and ended up going fŭck this sport. Anyway, got out of the boat and realised immediately I was in a perfect spot to roll...
Persons requiring rescue beers: Éanna from G.O.D.
Booty beer: Yeah. At the next available opportunity.

Name: Eoghan Calnan
Date: 23/2/17
Shifty excuse: I was getting quite tired during the rapids after v-drop. Rolled in a couple of holes and was pickling wrecked... Got to this river wide hole somewhere in s-bend and ended up getting stuck surfing in it...
Persons requiring rescue beers: Brian & Jack
Booty beer: Yeah. At the next available opportunity.
Eoghan Calnan
[email protected]
087 264 0926
JackPhelan
I've got alot to say for myself

Must have been a pretty successful Alps seeing as no one swam
Phone: 086 322 9783
Keith_OBrien
Yeah I got a few posts

Bump. Since this thread has gone very quiet.

Name: Keith O'Brien
Date: 29/12/17
Shifty excuse: First time paddling in a while and I decided an RPM would be an appropriate choice to get back into paddling while using a deck too big for it. My paddling was shabby and when push came to shove I capsized on a dirty slot. Went for the role but my deck came of and I essentially pulled myself out of the boat with the motion of the role.
Persons requiring rescue beers: Daragh, for supporting me while I saved my paddles
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Instant cursing of my knowledge of deck sizes
Booty beer: Immediately after the get off, there's a photo/video somewhere
*Disgruntled moaning*

+353 879972550
[email protected]
Connie Collins
Insert Rank Comment >Here<

Following Keith's Example

Name: Connie Collins

Date: 13/02/18

Shitty Excuse: I was cold and tired. I've never seen castleconnel so low. I hit a dirty rock and got flipped. Tried to roll three times but I was getting battered by rocks and fŭcked up my hand. After the third attempt, I was basically on rocks. I don't know if you've ever tried to roll on land but it's not too easy. I pulled my deck and my boat and I just kind of stayed on the rock that we were on. Niklas got us off the rock and to the eddy.

Booty Beer: Next available opportunity
cc tm bh 12
+353 87 63 555 83
SamOC
Big Man On The Board Now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeOL0MkuqBo

Connie Collins wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:47 am
I don't know if you've ever tried to roll on land but it's not too easy.
Looks pretty easy to me
The Fresh Prince of Kildare.
StephenODea
Big Man On The Board Now

Connie Collins wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:47 am
I don't know if you've ever tried to roll on land but it's not too easy.
UCC freshers are pretty slick at it
https://www.instagram.com/p/BgTt_bEhPUu/
simon_g
I'm really out of my shell

Name of swimmer: Simon
Date: 2 April 2018
Rescue involved: Stephen & Tom
Witnesses: Stephen, Steven and Tom

Swimmer's account: Keeping myself on my toes. Having already chosen to challenge myself a bit more on the glens by using an Axiom, I then figured I needed to go further. Not only did I need a slicey boat, but I also needed to be a C1 paddler. I conveniently found a very narrow section on the river where I could make said conversion, and seamlessly came through with one blade less (albeit upsidedown)

Actual reason: One is better off going through constriction with your paddles pointing the same way as the boat, especially in smaller boats... I did not do that. Also, must stop attempting to backdeck roll

Emotional issues arising from incident: Don't talk about the possible lack of structural rigidity of your paddle the day before... foreshadowing sucks
StephenWatkins
Yeah I got a few posts

I guess I'll keep the revival of this thread going
Name: Stephen Watkins
Date: 15/01/18
Shitty excuse: I was still groggy from the ferry over and a bit traumatised from sitting beside Keith in the minibus. I hopped into the axiom, a boat which I had never paddled before and set off just above the falls expecting it to glide down the rapid like any other boat I had used before. This was not like any other boat I had paddled before. I was pushed against an evil little big rock and sat there, beached like a whale because I didn't put in one stroke going down the river. Initially I thought "be grand, I'll push myself out", but the river had different plans. The tail began to catch water as the river tried to send my over a one way ticket to an ambulance... if I was lucky. Thankfully, the two wisest and oldest men in the area, Mr. Callanan and Daddy Lowe were quick to run over to rope me out (still impressed with their reaction times tbh). I caught Conor's rope, left the little axiom and Anto's paddles for dead, popped my deck and pulled myself towards land, with Mr. Callanan wrapping me up in his bosom and lifting me to safety.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Lots.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Calnan and C Lowe
Swim Bootie Y/N (Evidence) https://youtu.be/8wfCmubE79E?t=109 Well worth the watch. 10/10
For a good time call 087 248 7302
Or email [email protected] outside business hours
"Inside every great man is a little spoon"
daraghheff
Preposterous amount of posts "Preposter-Post"

Name: Daragh Heffernan

Date:1 April 2018

Shitty excuse: Video of Incident below. But for the sake of excuses, read on. Using a very unforgiving boat (9R). Three of us tried to squeeze through the slot at the same time and my paddle was stuck between two boats, couldn't lower it for the bridge. Got knocked out of my hand. Jack's boat landed on top of me, knocking the paddle out of my other hand, then got hit from the side by a fourth person which flipped me. Tried 5 shitty handy rolls and bailed like a bitch.

Emotional Issues arising from the event: I've been cursed by the local priest and am no longer allowed to step within the parish of Spiddal. Decided that I'd be

Persons requiring rescue pints: Unkown at the moment but will track him to his home and force a pint down his throat.

Swim Bootie Y/N: Yes Sir, evidence below courtesy of Luke Farren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y18fmz ... w&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p12MRj ... YLOYpok-w
Connie Collins

~~ALPS 2018~~

I want to see plenty posts under me.

I'll start.

Shitty Excuse: It was my first run down the Otona and it is definitely the pushiest and most technical section I've been on. It was an advanced run. There was a big dirty hole at the bottom of an otherwise grand rapid. I didn't see it until I was right on it. Almost got through it but lost balance and tipped. Didn't roll. Bailed like a bitch.

Those involved in rescue: Stephen Watkins, Anthony, Tom.

Bootie Beer: Yep and I think there's a video floating around somewhere.

I did swim on a couple other occasions but picked this one because I wanted to call out the other four people that swam on the same hole: Laura, Sinead, Nash, Rhona.
cc tm bh 12
+353 87 63 555 83
Eoin_Hayes
S.P.

Name: Eoin Hayes
Date: Week 1 the last day we did Gronda whatever that was
Shitty excuse: Well, Did the first few drops ok, just about escaping the shitty bits on most of them. Then it came to the last drop on the section. On the lead in to the drop , I was WAY too far right on the centre auto kicker and ended up landing wrong and flipping, since there was more water on it than the first time , I managed to be in a backdeck roll position and ended up scrapping my knuckles off a slap of rock as I drifted down the small drop after the auto kicker, hence letting go of my paddles and ended up swimming.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Lots. I will never meet my ambitions of being a hand model now.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Conor Lowe
Swim Bootie Y/N Booties Milk has been done somebody has it recorded
Eoin Hayes
[email protected]
EoinMorgan

Name: Eoin Morgan
Date: 23/05/2018
Shitty excuse: Was trucking on down the rapid grand in the absolute bathtub that I have grown to love dearly, the Mamba 8.6. About halfway down a long enough rapid, saw someone in an eddy on the left and decided to pull in and take a look at the line going down. Eddied in too late, got flipped over, tried to roll twice and failed, think I hit a rock or something and bailed. Eoghan Calnan rescued a somewhat shook me into the next eddy down, and whilst worrying who would get my boat, the absolute unit just floated right into the eddy beside us. Be nice to your boats kids, it pays off. That thing is a bitch to empty though...
Emotional Issues arising from the event: I no longer trust myself to eddy in properly and from now on will run entire rivers without eddying in
Persons requiring rescue pints: Eoghan Calnan, for putting up with me gasping like a dying fish. The Mamba 8.6 for being an absolute babe and following me wherever I go.
Swim Bootie Y/N (Evidence) Yeah I'm pretty sure there's a video floating around. Be warned, it's fairly pathetic.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Eoin Morgan
Date: 01/06/2018
Shitty excuse: Was going down the wavetrain before the roadbridge about 2/3rds down the river, almost got flipped by a wave and braced back up so I decided to take the next wave a bit slower. Which would have worked if it was a wave but it was actually the biggest motherf*ckin stopper hole I've ever seen. Dropped right in, paddled hard, thought I was out and then got pulled back in. Surfed it for a few seconds while wiser paddlers than myself avoided the hole by keeping right. Got flipped over, waited a few seconds to get flushed out, then tried to roll, felt shooting pains in my ankle and bailed like a bitch. (Sprained my ankle in Slovenia because I have trouble doing basic tasks such as walking) Andrew Moran stern carried me in to the bank and burned about 5000 calories doing so, poor lad won't need to do cardio for a year after it. Meanwhile, his suspected birth father Richie Moran captured the wild spirit that is the Mamba and reined it in beside me. 7 hours of emptying later and we hopped on again.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: After a great week of plugging every hole in sight with my good friend, the Mamba GoesThroughFuckingEverything™, I will now exercise caution and choose which holes to get soaked in more carefully.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Andrew Moran and Richie Moran, Oranjeboom could not be found but some 7% alternative did the job
Swim Bootie Y/N (Evidence) Ask Anthony McGowan, his word is more reliable than any video these days
Yet another Eoin
ThomasNash
Na na na na na na Nash Nash

Name:Thomas Nash
Date:I don't know week 1 of alps
Shitty excuse:I was being a bit lazy and went into a hole sideways tried to roll a twice but the hole was a bit too sticky, so pulled my deck like a little bitch and swam to the bank.
Emotional Issues arising from the event:First swim since learning to roll
Persons requiring rescue pints:Will from nuig rescued my kayak
Swim Bootie Y/N (Evidence)I did in Slovenia
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name:Thomas Nash
Date:Again I've no idea what date but it was week 2
Shitty excuse:Rhona swam in front of me so being a good second i tried rescuing her and it was going okay until Anthony threw a rope across me and Rhona grabbed on clotheslining me, ripping my paddles out of my hand and flipping me over swam too the bank got my paddles and then watched the carnage of 4 other swims from the bank
Emotional Issues arising from the event: rescuing people is overrated and don't go anywhere near Anto when he's throwing a rope
Persons requiring rescue pints:No idea who rescued my kayak
Swim Bootie Y/N (Evidence)Yep same day as everyone else who swam
Haha bitch, now I'm just here to break shit #noresponsibilities
EoinWatkins

Name: Twin 1

Date: The first day paddling in Slovenia?

Shitty excuse: Bopped into a little eddy beside Twin 2 and all was good for a solid 5 seconds. Beneath his judging gaze I managed to capsize in an eddy (maybe with the help of a rock)
I tried to roll but with a rock on one side and a Twin on the other I couldn't get my paddle up.
I went to t-rescue off his almighty Twinness but his axiom went vertical and the fŭcker got launched out of his boat.
With a pair of twins floating down Srp 2 sideways hanging onto each other Twin 2 decided in his dying efforts to rip my deck off. Thanks

Emotional Issues arising from the event: The emotional problems of me swimming were balanced out knowing that I made that other cúnt swim too >:)

Persons requiring rescue pints: Twas Sam and Anto McGinley I believe.

Swim Bootie Y/N (Evidence):