~~ULKC SWIMMER X-FILES~~

Everything trip related goes here, everything related to on-the-water stuff.

Moderator: Rian O Connell

PatrickBrennan
This Is The Rank Title For 400 Posts Congratulations

Alps trip
Name: Patrick Brennan
Dates: not sure of them all
Number of swims: 6
Locations :1 Serpeniza 1, Soca river, Slovenia
2: 100 metres before the get off after the mini gorge section (Slovenia)
3: Home run (Slovenia)
4: Sermenza river Italy
5: Sermenza river Italy
6: Raft run Italy
Shitty excuse 1: I was still getting used to my boat
2: I got complacent and messed up after a long day of paddling.
3: I was paddling an MX instead of my boat (EXO XT 260) and was really tired having run the otona, the mini gorge and home run once earlier on that day.
4: I got trapped on the back deck and my paddles broke.
5: I got flipped and couldn't get the paddles to the surface for a roll.
6: My mind was totally elsewhere and I wasn't concentrating.

Emotional issues arising from the event: Mostly frustration and a slight bit of fear at the time of swims 4 & 5.

People requiring rescue pints: A lot of the week 1 crew I don't know exactly who.

Swim bootie: I will do one for 4,5 and 6 at some point
Cathal
I have notions

I for one would like to welcome Patrick to the ranks of those that must do booty beers (or non alcoholic equivalent) upon swimming.. His progress this trip has certainly deserved being elevated to this rank!

Typed on a handheld screen.
--
My Madness is all that keeps me Sane..
Contact on +353876438725 - [email protected] (not on Facebook much/ever anymore)
SamOC
Big Man On The Board Now

Name: Sam
Date: Week 1
Shitty excuse: On sorba slides in the duo with sean when we decided to recreate a photo from a previous alps trip. I had bought these bottles of beer that cost 40c each earlier in the day so we put them to good use by shoving them down our BAs before the run. Gav was the last person in the duo so his "short-arsed" frame did nothing for my lanky legs. (It was our last run so we wanted to do it quickly hence no adjusting the footrest.) This meant i was uncomfortably sitting on the back rest for the run. We started chugging the beer as soon as we hit the lip and slid downwards to the pool at the bottom. The duo flipped when we hit the pool at the bottom of the slide and because i was sitting on the backrest my body slid backwards unhooking my legs from the thighbraces. This caused my knees to pop the deck and me to fall out.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Lost my beer :( Had a good aul laugh at all the cameras pointing at me.
Persons requiring rescue pints: No one really got myself out handy enough.
Swim Bootie Y/N (Evidence): Shtevie O'Dea HAD a video on his phone til he broke it.
The Fresh Prince of Kildare.
GavinSheehan
I have notions

I'm gonna call out Sam O Connor right now: If you were a duo veteran like myself, you would know that the footblocks are seized and cannot be moved and have not been moved for years. And also it was Luke Kelly sitting in the front of the duo before you sat into it. So don't go blaming us for you not being able to paddle!!!

I would like my written apology to be sent to my address. You know where I live.

And maybe send Luke a bouquet of flowers too.
Sheep, like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north, where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.

087 751 4733
SamOC
Big Man On The Board Now

Myself and stevie odea moved the footblocks last time we were out in it!

Im so so soooo sorry gav. It wont happen again i pwomise!
StephenODea
Big Man On The Board Now

Hi now dont be bringing me into this, i was sitting comfortably in the back of the duo last time we used It. :)
Mark Fitz
Too Many posts you should SLLLOWW-DOWWNN!

Name:Mark Fitz
Date: 20/05/15
Shitty excuse: After journeying for 3 days solid, we arrived in Alberto's beautiful campsite understandably tired.... After pitching the tents, Ethan and Gav, rounded up a small crew of Sam and I - based on the fact that I have previously been to the Alps... However that was 2 full years, and a Leaving Cert ago...
It was agreed to do Home Run, which I survived still mainly dry, but at the get out, we decided to paddle on around the bend, and instead get out near our tents. What happened next could be called comical... As I was coasting down the final few meters to our ultimate get-off, I was complacent, and simply glided over a little hole on river left. Although I lacked momentum, I floated straight into a rock just after it, which rebounded me back into the afore mentioned little hole... I went under... rolled... capsized... rolled... capsized... rolled... capsized... swam... No excuse really other than I was far from ready to be fighting a hole (tiny as it was) that early in the trip...
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Thought I'd lost my new boat less than an hour into its first Alps trip... :? but all was relieved by the 4 lads listed below :D
Persons requiring rescue pints: Sam for the snappy rope / Gav, Ethan, Jack & Crosbie (Jack and Crosbie had to jump into gear pronto to go for the chase) for following my boat and paddle for 5 k.... All were rewarded :)
Swim Bootie Y/N (Evidence): N - One is definitely deserved, but I just never got around to it...
+353 87 9305667
JackPhelan
I've got alot to say for myself

SamOC wrote:Name: Sam
Date: Week 1
Shitty excuse: On sorba slides in the duo with sean when we decided to recreate a photo from a previous alps trip. I had bought these bottles of beer that cost 40c each earlier in the day so we put them to good use by shoving them down our BAs before the run. Gav was the last person in the duo so his "short-arsed" frame did nothing for my lanky legs. (It was our last run so we wanted to do it quickly hence no adjusting the footrest.) This meant i was uncomfortably sitting on the back rest for the run. We started chugging the beer as soon as we hit the lip and slid downwards to the pool at the bottom. The duo flipped when we hit the pool at the bottom of the slide and because i was sitting on the backrest my body slid backwards unhooking my legs from the thighbraces. This caused my knees to pop the deck and me to fall out.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Lost my beer :( Had a good aul laugh at all the cameras pointing at me.
Persons requiring rescue pints: No one really got myself out handy enough.
Swim Bootie Y/N (Evidence): Shtevie O'Dea HAD a video on his phone til he broke it.
Don't forget about Little Canada Sam
Phone: 086 322 9783
SamOC
Big Man On The Board Now

Name: Sam
Date: Second last day of the Alps
Shitty excuse: 4th time running it so i was feeling super confident. I thought i Nailed the line the whole way down really driving right and getting through the holes towards the bottom. Maybe i was a little too relaxed and i just flipped just above the cave. Tucked up tried to roll and it wasnt happening. Anyway i was waiting for the water to settle and when it did i tried my roll again this time hitting off the cave wall and going under again. Waited to get flushed out and when i eventually did i tried to roll again this time Marky-Mark and the Fitzybunch came down ontop of me knocking me over once more sealing my fate. (This is like dé ja vu from wales with me and coco) I was pretty much at the bottom when i pulled my deck however whatever way i came out of the boat i wedged my foot inbetween the support pillar and the hull of the boat so i swam the whole way down to the get on with one leg stuck in the boat.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Personal relationship with mark took a hit! And the confidence took a big hit for the rest of the day.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Luke Kelly i believe? For pushing me and my boat to the bank
Swim Bootie Y/N (Evidence) Daragh Heff has it on the gopro!
JackPhelan

Name: Jack Phelan
Date: 5 Aug 2015
Shitty excuse: Decided to do my first proper waterfall at a high level, had a good line, went deep, hit my paddle off my mouth and pushed my tooth through my gum, got worked for a while, paddle ripped out of my hands, tried handrolling but was too aerated, eventually swam and then couldn't see anything because the liner of my helmet came down covering my eyes.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: First swim in over 2 years, was well overdue
Persons requiring rescue pints: Luke for my paddle, Alan Barrett for me and David Doyle for my boat
Swim Bootie Y/N (Evidence) Yes lads there will vouch, new adidas river boots don't let a drop out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flG-FgdCiso
GavinSheehan
I have notions

JackPhelan wrote:Name: Jack Phelan

First swim in over 2 years, was well overdue
Sheep, like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north, where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.

087 751 4733
LukeKelly
Big Man On The Board Now

Wtf I got your boat while David Doyle spun in circles #REALHERO

Sent from my Nokia 3310
JackPhelan

LukeKelly wrote:Wtf I got your boat while David Doyle spun in circles #REALHERO
Ye but he stopped it going down the next rapid which would of wrecked it.

I think you need to fill out a few of these too Luke
GavinSheehan
I have notions

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

087 751 4733
Alison_Bailey
Yeah I got a few posts

BUMP!! I believe there was swims from Castleconnel on Sunday that need documenting......

(The format for it is in the first post of this tread)

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk
HMU if you want to do along distance ir marathon! Based in Laois now. 0851009998