~~ULKC SWIMMER X-FILES~~

Everything trip related goes here, everything related to on-the-water stuff.

Moderator: Rian O Connell

Conor_B
I've got alot to say for myself

Name: Conor Bredin

Date: January '10

Shitty excuse: I had just won a new surf boat the month previous and this was my 3rd time out in it. Paddled around the back of the middle reef but was caught just inside of a bomb set. I took off deep and got soooo pitted that I got thrown over the falls and into the reef. The paddles got ripped from my hand as I got thrown around. Finally came to a stop, upside-down, underwater. I went to handroll but my deck had come off. I put my deck back on underwater and then hand rolled up to finally see the damage done; the nose of my boat looked like an old crumpled up newspaper! With another wave about to break outside me I began hand paddling for the channel so as not to get pounded a second time. I got passed the shoulder of the wave just in time as it raced by. Sitting in the channel I had time to look around and realise two things: 1) Brian McDonagh and Mickie Brennan(?) hadn't managed to paddle around the reef yet after getting in and they couldn't see me, nor I them, due to the size of the swell and a great many rocks; and 2) my boat was sinking as a result of it's new found resemblance to a sieve and me not putting airbags in it. With another set coming and the rip pulling me back into its war path I bailed just as the boys made contact with me and were racing to my rescue. With no real good place to get towed into near the reef, Brian and Mickie dragged my hypothermic ass in as far as the beach where had to do the ultimate walk of shame, boat-less and paddle-less up to my car...

Emotional Issues arising from the event: Acquired a distaste for surf-kayaking (because boarding when the waves are good just makes more sense) and an intense desire never to swim in split drypants and cag again #soakedandfullofwater

Person's requiring rescue beers: Mickie Brennan and Brian McDonagh

Bootie Beer: I can't honestly remember...I'm sure I did.
A lot of truth is said in jest.....
Mícheál Howard
I'm really out of my shell

Name: Mícheál Howard
Date: August
Shitty excuse: Had run the drop in higher water a few days earlier and made it without any complications. Simon gave the line down through the middle and boof. Just as i got to the lip Simon shouted "keep the nose up", distracting me and instilling doubt into my mind.... Why would he shout keep the nose up?? there must be something bad that i have to boof over? In the split seconds these thoughts flashed through my mind I had actually missed my boof, as I often tend to do. Landed upside down in the hole with the water punding off the hull. Didnt know which side to roll on, waited to see if i would be just spat out upside down. It didnt. So I poped my deck grabed my camera bad and swam the fŭck out of there. Let go of the paddles to grap the camera bag, so they went off. Got to the bank ran down and managed to grab the boat before it went down some nasty shit. Cut my shin in the process and still have a mark from it.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Disgusted, having ran the drop successfully only a few days earlier in higher water. Should have tried a roll under the drop.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Simon and Eoin for their support in finding the paddles, which I ended up breaking off my deck a few days later.
Swim Bootie Y/N (Evidence) A pre-emptive bootie beer was consumed in Campertogno for any potential swim that might happen later on in the summer. Photo should be on fb some where.

In response to Eoin Farrell's accusations of me missing with a throw rope. I did throw a rope to him, The shot was 100% accurate, however at the last split second Eoin Farrell was pulled under the water (it was very aerated) and unable to receive the rope. I believe that he did not receive the rope as a result of factors outside my controll
oliver_duggan
Whoohoo!

Name: Oliver Duggan
Date: June
Shitty Excuse: After making it down the terrifying (in my opinion haha) rocky entry rapid i got quite cocky and took my eye of the ball!
Emotional issues arriving from event: none, until i was presented and forced to wear a tasteful pair of red speedos to honour my swims of the trip, the whereabouts of speedos are unknown!
Persons requiring rescue beers: Robert Guierin and Jack phelan, I think.
Swim Bootie Y/N (Evidence): Countless pictures on facebook the worst of which was the bootie out of robs 6 year old booties!
Seán McT
Big Man On The Board Now

Name: Sean "Sludge" Mc Ternan
Date: 15/04/2013

Shitty excuse: So the place where I swam had a deceptively large hole above a 15ft(ish) drop. At the bottom of the 15 footer there was a cave river right plus a major tow-back. Solid boof was a must. So the line that was meant to be had was a straight punch of the hole, aiming for the bank in front of you (the river bends at a sharp 90°) and run the drop on the left hand side. The local guys had walked away from the drop but me being born with the unfortunate set of large iron testicles decided to flash them and show the boys how their local run should be done. I eyed up the drop and popped in the boat and fired it up. As soon as I entered the shoot and saw the hole above the drop I knew I was chunder-fŭcked. I took some pre-emptive speed strokes and a futile boof attempt but my efforts were in vain. Instead of punching the hole straight and ending up on the left hand side of the drop, my boat pivoted on the spot and sent me down the right into the tow-back/cave. I tried to roll a few times to no avail. Feeling nothing but rock all around me I decided to pull. Luckily I had the clarity of mind to realise that BA's float and Iron (my testicles) sink creating the perfect buoyancy to sink me just low enough to get out of my spot. I was pulled into the drop from the cave, went deep, and shot out down stream.

Emotional Issues arising from the event: No emotional distress. Lesson learned, take your time. Evaluate all aspects of the line and not just the main feature. In my case I was so focussed on the 15 footer that I underestimated the lead in. It's all well and good knowing where you need to be at the crux but if you underestimate any of the path before, well then you're hooped.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Self Rescue.
Swim Bootie Y/N (Evidence) I don't think so.. Does this make up for it?:

Last edited by Seán McT on Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
I like going bowling; I always make my name '3 Testicles' on the board. That way the TV occasionaly says "Congratulations 3 Testicles! You got a spare"

You Can take a horse to water, But you can't fiddle with it
Ethan
Insert Rank Comment >Here<

Name: Ethan "scout" O'Brien
Date: December 2013 I think, could have been earlier
Shitty excuse: tried to boof centre on top drop and half landed on end of chicken shoot, fell over, rolled up before second drop heading hard left. probably penciled it, side surfed looking into the cave then flipped and pulled the deck cos what else was i gonna do and there was like three people ready with ropes, popped up in front of drop with boat between me and curtain so had no trouble catching a rope and then got pulled into eddy.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: need to stop pickling up center line on little eas
Persons requiring rescue pints: gav i think
Swim Bootie Y/N (Evidence) hmmm... think I still owe this one
AndrewRegan
Na na na na na na Nash Nash

Seán McT wrote:Evaluate all aspects of the line and not just the main feature.
So true my man! I often spend way more time now evaluating the lead in now then the actual feature.

A good example is the top drop of the Boluisce in high water, the main falls is eye catching and sometimes intimidating, but how your line is going to go for you almost completely depends on your lead in momentum.

Lets save all these swim booties for the Alps!
CrazyRedSean

Hey Conor What about last year on the Otona exhibit A: http://youtu.be/_wmvhyv_f0o?t=5m
Watch for the next 45 seconds..... thats the last one I remember.....
Conor_B wrote:Name: Conor Bredin

Date: January '10

Shitty excuse: I had just won a new surf boat the month previous and this was my 3rd time out in it. Paddled around the back of the middle reef but was caught just inside of a bomb set. I took off deep and got soooo pitted that I got thrown over the falls and into the reef. The paddles got ripped from my hand as I got thrown around. Finally came to a stop, upside-down, underwater. I went to handroll but my deck had come off. I put my deck back on underwater and then hand rolled up to finally see the damage done; the nose of my boat looked like an old crumpled up newspaper! With another wave about to break outside me I began hand paddling for the channel so as not to get pounded a second time. I got passed the shoulder of the wave just in time as it raced by. Sitting in the channel I had time to look around and realise two things: 1) Brian McDonagh and Mickie Brennan(?) hadn't managed to paddle around the reef yet after getting in and they couldn't see me, nor I them, due to the size of the swell and a great many rocks; and 2) my boat was sinking as a result of it's new found resemblance to a sieve and me not putting airbags in it. With another set coming and the rip pulling me back into its war path I bailed just as the boys made contact with me and were racing to my rescue. With no real good place to get towed into near the reef, Brian and Mickie dragged my hypothermic ass in as far as the beach where had to do the ultimate walk of shame, boat-less and paddle-less up to my car...

Emotional Issues arising from the event: Acquired a distaste for surf-kayaking (because boarding when the waves are good just makes more sense) and an intense desire never to swim in split drypants and cag again #soakedandfullofwater

Person's requiring rescue beers: Mickie Brennan and Brian McDonagh

Bootie Beer: I can't honestly remember...I'm sure I did.
AndrewRegan
Na na na na na na Nash Nash

Deck implosion and paddled to shore, hopped out holding all his gear.

No swim bootie, you should bask in Conor's greatness mere mortals!
Conor_B

This is it Andrew, fŭck the MAN always trying to bring me down!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
StarsShineInMe

Name: Skye Murphy
Date:August 2013
Shitty excuse: I'm ok with flat water paddling. I'm ok with K1, nay, even K2 paddling, but put me in a K2 with Oisín Higgins in a "Lazy Sunday" race with my uncles K boat racing busses, in a South African K2 that has neither foot pedals (it had a bar and no plate) nor a backrest of any sort. Trying to paddle 4 laps up and down the estuary, having to cut through small waves, river debris and possibly crocodiles or nasty other water living things, bacterial or animal, you tend to be a little stiff in the seat. I'm also prone to leg cramps in those boats. So as we're nearing the end of our first lap, (everyone else already half a lap ahead) we decide SCREW IT, we're getting out at the jetty/ramp/thing. Not 2 meters away from the bank, trying to scull the boat as well as drag ourselves in (I swear, the water is more viscous over there! Syrup, it was.) we capsize. I knew we had no chance of rolling the Skimpy piece of fibreglass attached to our legs, and especially since there wasn't a deck to be seen on either of us, I started to get out, hands behind my back kinda thing, but NOOOO doesn't Ois decide to try and roll, half surfacing our red puffy sunburnt irish faces, whereupon the onlookers think we're being eaten by a croc and are in its death roll, they started wading out to help us. (They didn't have throw ropes! Silly South Africans.) I half jumped half seal flopped out of the boat as Ois went under again, not wanting to lose to the toothpick of a boat he was sitting in, and eventually rolled it... as it was submerged like the good aul' Titanic, it wasn't too hard. The people on the bank helped us out and empty the kayak. later on that evening there was a raffle, and Ois and I won a rashie (dibs) and a nylon fishing shirt (hahaha, nope!) and got free shots all evening from my uncle to hopefully kill any thing we may have swallowed. Not a bad run, just stupidity and inability to keep up with the natives.
Cheers!
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Humiliation, refusal to ever paddle a duo of any kind with ANY significant other ever again (even mammy Murphy!) and a terrible hangover. Suspected snake bite turned out to be jellyfish sting. Not as bad, but the wound was itching for weeks!
Persons requiring rescue pints: Randomers on the bank that day... PINTS! From my dear uncle of course...
Swim Bootie Y/N (Evidence) : There were many a shot/beers, but not out of booties, as we weren't wearing any. they had a glass welly for this exact reason sitting on the bar for bad swims though...
Bring me the glue....
Eoin F
This is all I do now

In response to Eoin Farrell's accusations of me missing with a throw rope. I did throw a rope to him, The shot was 100% accurate, however at the last split second Eoin Farrell was pulled under the water (it was very aerated) and unable to receive the rope. I believe that he did not receive the rope as a result of factors outside my controll
Hmm....i don't know...guess ill take your word for it. didnt know which way was up or down!
I don't know what I'm doing here anymore
KevinC
I'm really out of my shell

Just copying and pasting this from the UCD version

Name of swimmer:..... I don't recall due to the concussions
Date: 27/3/2014
Rescue involved: I dont even go here so no......
Witnesses: Devidas just watched and laughed......

Swimmer's account:
It was a cold and dark March night, I stumbled through Ringsend to try and get on a bus to go to the precarious place known as UCD...... *cough* are wonderful people! *cough* *cough* Just like the Cork Hurlers showing up to face Clare in the friendly of January '13, Dublin Bus were late. This lead to my delayed arrival to the pool. I was stuck with the runt of the litter in terms of boats. I dreaded the thought of going in to those god forsaken polo boats, but then I saw her. Just like Ted and Ribbon out of How I met Your Mother our eyes meet across a crowded swimming pool storage room (I don't really watch that show.....).

I caressed her wonderful edges and slowly wedged myself into her tight cockpit. I went as deep as I could into the wonderful boat that is the Jackson Fun. We ended up getting all wet together. She was a little too much for me so I pulled out to take a breather.

So there I was with my deck pulled and my knees up minding my own business when "it" came at me. "It" is so cruel and devious that "it" doesn't deserve a pronoun. "It" saw my moment of weakness and decided to take advantage of me. The side of the Jackson was ploughed in to and due to Newtons somewhat annoying 3rd law of physics, I was a goner. (Sidenote for non-engineers 3rd Law: Action=Reaction)

I was trapped in a...... fŭck this! This is a serious amount of effort coming up with a bullshit story! Basically I popped my deck cause my legs were gone dead in the Fun and Finchy pushed me over. THE END.

Emotional issues arising from incident: Keeping a eye on the shnakey bollioxs in UCDCC!
GavinSheehan
I have notions

I believe Luke Kelly and Oliver Duggan had some mishaps at the Club Champs....
Sheep, like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north, where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.

087 751 4733
oliver_duggan
Whoohoo!

technically i never pulled my deck as the deck didn't fit the boat! so that bootie beer i did was a load of bollics!
Conor_B

Let me put this to you; were you upright when you got out? and, If you hadn't gotten out would you have drowned?

They're two important questions in order to establish the facts of this case. (Ok so I was watched Suits last night!)