The Final Push

Moderator: Eoghanc

SamOC
Big Man On The Board Now

This is a little post that gets put up every year coming up to varsities from none other than ex captain and chancy feen Gavin Sheehan.

You may or may not be aware(depending on who you've been talking to) that we have a very very strong record in the Irish Kayaking Inter-Varsities in recent years. A winning formula was found by our elders of 2010 and since then UL has won every trophy since. That's 5 in a row if you're bad at maths! Many of these victories were not clear cut and sometimes came down to a matter of a few points between the top colleges. This year DIT, DCU and most of all NUIG will want to get their hands on the cup that has being doing the rounds of the ULKC paddlers houses for the past number of years. NUIG, hosting the event this year are one of our biggest rivals and always give us a run for our money. They hold the record for the most victories in a row(7!) and I'm sure they don't want to see us come close to that record.

Ever since I joined the club, the word "Varsities" has always had a special meaning. It might not mean much to you now but it's only after you've taken part and see what it means to the people in the club, both past and present, that it really hits home. The past victories that we have secured weren't flukes! They didn't happen because we got lucky. They happened because all of the UL paddlers before you who contributed to those victories trained hard and did their absolute best in their events. We've had to go above and beyond in some disciplines to compete against Irish team paddlers and come out on top.

I for one, don't want to let down the people who have taught me how to paddle and have built this club up to what it is now. You'd be surprised at how many former UL paddlers still take a huge interest in the club and how we're getting on! And Varsities is still the holy grail! Every other college will be looking to take that trophy away from us this year(as usual) but we can't let that happen! It's up to each and every person who wants to help us win Varsities for a 6th time to get out on the water and train!

Where do I begin you might say? The pool is a good start! Whether it be learning as many new skills as you can, learning proper forward paddling technique or just getting as fit as possible, there is always something you can do in the pool.

You might be thinking to yourself, "Oh but I'm only a 1st year. I won't get to paddle in the Varsities". WRONG. Everyone who goes to Inter-Varsities will get to paddle. Everyone who goes will at least paddle the long distance race. We did very well in this last year thanks to an awful lot of first years who had put in the hours over winter and had much better technique and fitness levels than any other college! Long distance training OUTBACK is the best place you can go if you want to get fit and improve your technique. Keep an eye out for posts from people when they plan on going. If you wish, put up a post yourself and ask for someone to go with you. Caoimhe and I go out every Wednesday at different times so there is always an opportunity.

In the coming weeks, we will have a few day trips heading to different rivers and playspots to train too. If you want to get in on these, keep an eye on the forum! There will always be notice posted of a trip!

I know it can be very easy at this time of year to clock off from college, go home, eat dinner and turn into a vegetable on the couch for the night. WE CANT LET THAT HAPPEN! Varsities will not win themselves. Get out there!

Yours sincerely,

Captain Insano
The Fresh Prince of Kildare.